The Will Smith-produced film Brilliance is moving forward at Paramount with a new director, The Wrap reports. Ms. Marvel director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is reportedly in talks to direct the movie, produced by Smith’s Westbrook Studios.
At one point, Smith was slated to star in the film, though at this stage, he’s not formally committed to appear. Per The Wrap, the film is based on novel of the same name by Marcus Sakey. “It imagines a future in which 1% of the world’s population is born with special mental and physical gifts, leading the world’s governments to track them and have branded them ‘brilliants.’ The main character is special agent who also has brilliant gifts and is tasked with tracking down a violent criminal brilliant, or ‘abnorm,’ who wishes to spark a civil war between ordinary humans and those with special gifts.”
Smith’s next project is slated to be Emancipation, a Civil War drama directed by Antoine Fuqua, though the New York Times reported Apple is debating on whether to roll it out this year or wait until 2023 to let the backlash from the Oscar’s slap die down. Even still, Smith remains one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood, pulling in $35 million for the upcoming flick.
The movie is directed by Antoine Fuqua, and was expected to be the first release following the 2022 Oscars slap incident involving Chris Rock, which resulted in him being banned from attending the Oscars and other Academy-related events for 10 years.
It was expecting to be Apple’s next potentially big awards season favorite after CODA. A source familiar with the situation said “it’s the unspoken truth” that the action-drama will not arrive in 2022. They also revealed there have been “ongoing internal discussions between Apple executives and the filmmakers on how a release in the fall could move forward, but it seems highly unlikely,” via the report.
An anonymous filmmaker who saw an early preview of the footage sang its praises, and said “Will’s going to win back-to-back.”
Despite the controversy, multiple sources also told Variety that the movie is still deep in post-production and may not be ready in time for a 2022 debut anyway amid pandemic delays. There is also a packed schedule for Apple in the second half of the year, which may have also caused the shuffling.
Following the news that Netflix had quietly backed away from working with Will Smith on an upcoming movie, it’s being reported that another project of his is being delayed.
Bloomberg reports that National Geographic is delaying production on the nature series Pole to Pole, which is going to follow Will as he visits both the North Pole and the South pole.
The series “was to have begun shooting in three weeks. Work will now be pushed back until the fall.”
It seems Bloomberg’s original report had also mentioned that the sequel to Bright was canceled as the news has spread around the internet, but the info is now missing from their website.
Bright was a big hit for Netflix in 2017 and a sequel was in development, but it was reported that plans for the film had been canceled. It’s possible that the news wasn’t actually true and that’s why it was removed from the original article.
Will Smith has been banned from the Oscars gala and other Academy events for 10 years after the US actor slapped comic Chris Rock at the Oscars.
In a statement, the Academy said the 94th Oscars had been “overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behaviour we saw Mr Smith exhibit on stage”. Smith has apologised for his actions and resigned from the Academy. The actor hit Rock for joking about his wife’s shaved head, a result of the hair-loss condition alopecia. Less than an hour later, he was awarded the best actor award for his role in “King Richard”, where he played the father of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams.
The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts and Science, which organises the awards ceremony, met virtually on Friday to discuss disciplinary action. In its statement, it said banning Smith was aimed at protecting performers and guests and “restoring trust in the Academy”.The Academy said that at the time of the slap it did not “adequately address the situation in the room” and had been “unprepared for the unprecedented”. It apologised for this. It also thanked Rock for “maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances”. In his resignation statement, Smith said he had “betrayed the trust of the Academy” and was “heartbroken” over his actions. He added he would “fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct”. His resignation means he will be unable to vote for future Oscars voters.
The Academy’s disciplinary review over the incident, originally scheduled for 18 April, was fast-tracked after Smith resigned.Few have ever resigned from the academy. Four members – producer Harvey Weinstein, actor Bill Cosby, director Roman Polanski and cinematographer Adam Kimmel – have been booted over sexual misconduct allegations, while actor Carmine Caridi was expelled in 2004 for pirating screener videos given to him.But the standards of conduct laid out by the film academy contained various disciplinary options for Smith, such as excluding him from future Oscars ceremonies, revoking his eligibility for awards or taking back his newly won Oscar.
A new report regarding Ezra Miller’s DCEU future also provides an update on the long-awaited standalone Deadshot movie starring Will Smith.
An update on the standalone Will Smith Deadshot movie has reportedly been revealed in a new report regarding Ezra Miller’s future as the Flash. Smith’s Deadshot was first introduced in 2016’s Suicide Squad, a movie that would ultimately be harshly criticized by both fans and critics. While the David Ayer-helmed DC superhero movie failed to be the launching point that Warner Bros. hoped it would be, revelations regarding the movie’s extensive reshoots have led to fans – following the success of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut campaign – demanding the release of the original “Ayer Cut” of Suicide Squad.
Smith has recently found himself in hot water following highly-publicized events at the Oscars, where the actor stormed the stage and slapped Chris Rock following the comedian’s joke about Smith’s wife. The incident has led to intense public backlash from fans and fellow actors alike. Smith has since issued an apology to Rock and to everyone else his actions may have affected and has also recently resigned from the Academy. Smith isn’t the only DC actor who has been at the center of a controversy, however, with Miller, star of the upcoming The Flash, recently having been arrested in Hawaii for disorderly conduct and harassment.
In a new report from Rolling Stone detailing an emergency meeting at Warner Bros. regarding Miller’s future in the DCEU, a small update is given on Smith’s standalone Deadshot movie. The report confirms that a movie centered around Smith’s character was indeed in development but was placed on the backburner due to the actor’s hefty $20 million dollar salary requirement. While not going into details on the project, it sounds like no progress has been made on any sort of solo Deadshot movie at DC.
While Smith’s recent assault of Rock is completely unrelated to the Deadshot movie being put on the backburner, the event certainly isn’t helping the movie’s chances. Following the incident and the intense backlash against the King Richard actor, a number of Smith’s movies have been put on hold, including Bad Boys 4. Especially in light of Miller’s recent legal troubles, it seems likely that DC will want to distance itself from as much controversy as possible.
Although not a popular movie, Smith’s Deadshot character in Suicide Squad was a highlight for many viewers. Ultimately, however, the stack seems to be increasingly stacked against a standalone Deadshot movie. In addition to Smith’s large price tag and the recent incident at the Oscars, Elba’s success as Bloodsport, a very similar character to Deadshot, in The Suicide Squad reboot, makes it seem like a longshot that a standalone Deadshot movie will ever get made, at least not with Smith playing the role.
The Hollywood Reporter reported that Netflix has allegedly “slowed down” the development of Smith’s Fast and Loose. Multiple factors may have contributed to the decision; the attached director, David Leitch, reportedly backed out of the project a week before the Oscars to work on Ryan Gosling’s Fall Guy.
Without a director attached and in the wake of the Slap, THR shared that Netflix reportedly put the project on hold. THR also reported that Bad Boys 4 is allegedly on hold following the events of Sunday’s ceremony, despite Smith receiving 40 pages of the script prior to the Slap. Smith’s Apple TV+ drama Emancipation is currently in post-production, set to premiere sometime in 2022. However, Apple has not announced a formal release date.
Just days after stepping on stage to slap Chris Rock over an ill-timed joke about Jada Pinkett Smith‘s hair, and after winning the Best Actor honor, the 53-year-old actor has stepped down from the organization.
According to Variety, Will was potentially facing expulsion from The Academy over his actions on Oscar night last Sunday. Instead, he has chosen to resign.
“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct,” Will shared in a statement to Deadline. “My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.”
“Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”
The day after the incident, Will issued a formal apology to Chris over social media, writing that “I was out of line and I was wrong.”
THE COUNCIL (2023) Role: Nicky Barnes Status: Pre-Production
The never-before told story of a crime syndicate consisting of seven African-American men who ruled Harlem in the 1970s and early 80s focusing on Nicky Barnes, dubbed "Mr. Untouchable" by the New York Times.
Url: will-smith.org Maintained by: Abel Contact:here Established on: August, 2020 Hits:
Will Smith Online is a unofficial fansite made by fans for share the latest images, videos and news of Will Smith, so we have no contact with Chris or someone in his environment. The images, videos, news, etc, posted on the site belong to their respective owners, except for our graphics, desings, etc, that only belong to will-smith.org. If you copy/take something ours, please give us credit.